APPLICATION PACKAGES ARE DUE FEBRUARY 28, 2019.
Please note that the next application opening is from April 1–May 31, 2019.
You may apply once per opening.
The Taylor White Memorial CrossFit Scholarship
On Sunday April 8, 2018 tragedy struck and the world lost an incredible young man when 21 year old Taylor White was killed by a hit and run driver in Phoenix, AZ. Taylor, out for an evening jog with his best friend, was just three weeks away from getting married.
We were introduced to the amazing personality that was Taylor White when he joined CrossFit Pandora’s Box as a 16 year old. An avid high school athlete, where he excelled in the football and wrestling programs, Taylor joined our box to further his athletic abilities. These abilities later awarded him a wrestling scholarship with Grand Canyon University.
“Taylor/Tyler” as he was affectionately known at the box (due to the fact that his head coach continued to mistakenly call him by both names in the beginning… so she just started calling him Taylor/Tyler) always arrived with an ear to ear smile, and an infectiously positive personality that impacted everyone he came in contact with. Taylor was a massive kid with an even bigger heart. When he joined the CrossFit community, he created lifelong bonds with its members.
One of Taylor’s ambitions was to obtain his CF Level 1 and someday open his own box, continuing to positively impact the lives of others through health and exercise. Taylor had a passion not only for fitness, but also for helping others, acting as a role model for many. During the summers Taylor was a wilderness guide, leading youth groups in the mountains and introducing them to the awe of nature.
It’s this passion that we hope to continue, through the Taylor White Memorial CrossFit Scholarship, which will award a CrossFit Level 1 Certificate Course to a deserving athlete who wishes to further their CrossFit journey by becoming a coach and themselves making a positive impact on the lives of others.
We feel that awarding this opportunity to an athlete who may otherwise not have the means to obtain a CF Level 1 Certificate is one of the best ways we can honor Taylor, carry on his name and continue his passion for helping others.
Please note that the Taylor White Memorial CrossFit Scholarship is available to ALL CrossFit athletes, regardless of where they train, or where they live.
Recipients of the Taylor White Memorial CrossFit Scholarship are awarded a CrossFit Level 1 Certificate Course
2019 #1 Application opening is from January 1, 2019–February 28, 2019
Application Packages must be received no later than February 28, 2019
One recipient will be selected
The winner will be announced by March 31, 2019
Eligibility criteria and requirements for consideration:
- Applicant must be at least 17 years old
- Applicant must have a minimum of 24 months CrossFit experience
- Applicant must complete and submit the Taylor White Memorial CrossFit Scholarship (TWMCS) Application
- Applicant must create and submit a Video Essay which meet the requirements as described below
How to apply:
- Download and complete the Taylor White Memorial CrossFit Scholarship (TWMCS) Application.
- Create a Video Essay which MUST answer and include the following:
- Who are you?
- What are your hobbies or passions?
- At what affiliate do you train?
- What got you started on your CrossFit journey?
- How has CrossFit changed or impacted your life?
- Why do you want to coach?
- What do you hope to achieve with a CF Level 1?
- Footage of you training at your affiliate.
- 2 video recommendations, (1) recommendation from a CrossFit coach that currently coaches you and (1) recommendation from a fellow CrossFit athlete that currently trains with you.
- Submit BOTH your completed TWMCS Application and Video Essay together via the “Upload” link below. Please include your last name in the file names. Compressed or zipped Application Package folders (including both application and video file) are preferred.
Please note: Incomplete applications and/or videos that do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Submit your Application Package
Your Application Package must include both your completed TWMCS Application and Video Essay.
Incomplete applications and/or videos that do not meet the requirements will not be considered.
Who can apply? Any athlete that is at least 17 years old and has been a CrossFit athlete for at least 24 months.
How is the recipient selected? We have established a selection team that is responsible for choosing scholarship recipients. The team consists of Taylor’s coaches, training partners, a very close friend, a member of his family and a coach/owner of another CrossFit affiliate.
How many times can I apply? You can apply once per scholarship application opening, which at this time will be once per quarter.
What if I don’t train at a CrossFit affiliate or I train in a garage gym? If you meet the criteria and can provide everything that is required, this is not a problem.
I have questions! Please email us using the contact form at the bottom of this page.
This program needs your support in order to continue awarding athletes and changing people’s lives.
Consult with your tax professional as donations up to $250 may be eligible for write-off without an official receipt.